Thursday, July 08, 2004

I'm retiring (until my next post)

I have to admit, straight up, that I enjoyed last night's Origin game. This was no doubt only because I saw the Queensland bastards get their arses whipped. Ahem, sorry, lost myself for a moment there. I have to agree with comicstriphero though, last night's game was a rather hollow fairytale for Freddy. Coming out of retirement not once, but twice to finally get third-time-lucky and get the win was not an ending that will be remembered. If anything we will remember it as Fittler's increasingly tedious attempts to go out a winner. To be honest, his shenanigans have really diluted the whole 'announcement of retirement' thing. How can we take footballers seriously now when they say "Yeah, I'm hanging up the boots...lost the desire...not hungry enough...couldn't be arsed." These days we will always suspect they will be making just one final appearance, just one more outing for the fans, just one more payday. When does retirement really mean retirement? Not soon enough in some cases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home