Saturday, May 08, 2004

An initiation

I have a confession to make. Tonight I attended my first game of rugby league. That is, top flight rugby league. It was Easts, oops, Roosters, v the Tiges at the SFS. I had a couple of beers, a bucket of chips, and tried to get into the swing of things. But...I can't just go a to a footy game and enjoy it. I had to have a think about it.

Firstly, I was under the impression that the NRL was trying to entice women to the game. I don't know how cheerleaders (who seem to have no sense of coordination and a predeliction for knee-high white boots) add anything to the game. I am on record as bemoaning their presence and I'll do it again. What the f**k, is all I can say. I also don't know why women in orange catsuits (advertising a home lender) add anything to the game. (Although I was informed that there was a strategically placed patch across their crotch to avoid the unfortunate camel toe situation). Put it this way, subtlety is obviously not a strong point. And finally, the girls advertising the computer games, were they wearing rubber tyres from a trike or were they clothes? I don't really think these advertisers and the NRL were going to all this trouble to talk to women who play for the other team (and even then I suspect they may have missed the mark). So, if this is the only representation of women in league, you can keep it.

Now, to the game. Perhaps it was unfortunate that I attended a game where one team didn't trouble the scorer but nevertheless, I couldn't help feel that there was something missing. Dare I say it, I think the game would benefit from more interaction between players and crowd. The players seem to be doing their thing, the crowd is doing theirs, but there is no meeting in the middle. I know league prides itself on players playing down the fact that they score tries but really, a little acknowledgement, a little showboating wouldn't go astray. If you don't have a passionate love for one of the teams on the paddock the game can become a little lacking in excitement. I was cheering on a team, despite my better efforts, but there were long patches when my mind wandered. Perhaps it will grow on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home