Tuesday, July 20, 2004

For mine, that is enough

I have put up with this for some time but I have decided that enough is enough and I have to say this publicly: I demand that sports commentators come up with a new phrase to replace the bloody awful "for mine." You've all heard it: "For mine, player X was definitely the best on the park today", "that was a forward pass for mine", "for mine, that's a try!" I vaguely remember it first surfacing in League with Sterlo and Fatty. It was as if one of them blurted it out one day and the other thought, hmm, that's not bad, I might use that. Now they both pepper their commentary with it, as does Rabs Warren and even the sterling callers on ABC Grandstand.

A quick search on Google for "'for mine' sport" delivers a shitload of results, most of them from Australia and through all kinds of sports: horse racing, AFL, League, Union, various opinion pieces and of course, blogs. (It turned up on the Souths website, but it was a blurb about their sponsor referring to an implement "for mine de-watering" whatever that is).

So, all commentators, I demand you look for alternatives. Try "I think that's a try" or "In my opinion that was a forward pass" or "I think player X was outstanding this evening". Anything but the over-used and much abused "for mine".

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home