Friday, July 16, 2004

No theme, just a general rant.

I have to admit to experiencing somewhat of a lull in my interest in sport lately. Can’t get interested in cricket at this time of year, and my disdain for golf grows stronger everyday.

Euro 2004 set the standard for engaging events so far this year. It topped the list of most mentioned events across newspapers for two weeks in a row, and for good reason. Sort of a relief to see the top mentioned sport story not involving drugs or the Olympics, or the two of them combined.

Looking ahead on the sporting calendar, the football season continues to trundle towards the ‘interesting bit’ (although I was disappointed to hear the NRL has confirmed another night Grand Final). In the AFL, I can only hope the Swans’ injuries start to heal and they hit form just at the right time. Reverse that statement to work out what I think will actually happen!

In August, the EPL should kick off again – I’m still ‘unattached’, and don’t think I’m going to fall into the same trap as last time, and form an allegiance to a club with Australian players. Middlesborough? I think I’d rather stick sharp objects in my eye. Much less painful. Looking forward to seeing Palace and the canaries back in the League, and West Brom for the first time. The highlight will of course be the complete absence of Leeds. Wahay!

The rugby tri-nations tournament is also coming up. I wonder how many of last year’s band-wagon jumping ‘wallaby supporters’ (well let’s face it, I don’t think they qualify as ‘rugby supporters’), will turn out at the matches this year...

Then I believe there is something on in Athens, but you never hear anything about that in the news, so it mustn’t be important. From what I’ve heard, I think it must be a Pharmaceutical Conference of some kind.

I’m still quietly hoping for an NRL salary-cap scandal. Especially after the Roosters signed Joel Monaghan from the Raiders. The Raiders must be clearing the decks so they can buy the complete Parramatta player list, again. Or, maybe for some variety they'll poach from another club this year. You never know in sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home